Survey a New Boat?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have a new (2020) boat surveyed before purchasing from a dealer that I trust?

Not for me but would request the dealer show me every system ,open every hatch and deck plate , explain the breakers and fuse panels, explain guages to motor and MFD and hand me the manual , show where windlass breaker is located, test ride and check the motor height is correct, prop set to Max rpm like if max is 6000 then prop to it not 5600, trim tabs operation, troubleshooting, and electrical system, full walk thru on motors, guages, flushing SOP, would expect a free factory motor shop manual. Full explanation of the entire fuel system esp the tank. If Tank data says 180 gal , what is the true capacity and how too fill. Too many issues are being reported on tank fills and time to fill. This is unacceptable.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

test ride and check the motor height is correct, prop set to Max rpm like if max is 6000 then prop to it not 5600,

Only problem with that is.....It needs 10hrs of break in time first.

I'm a surveyor and I say yes. :>) Unless you are very knowledgeable, and are willing to spend at least 4-6 hours going over the boat yourself. Yes, the dealer may well fix any problems that you find later. But it's nice to know upfront what you are dealing with. And a good surveyor may well find a deal breaker. Remember the story here about the crooked pilot house? Those are very rare, but they happen. Better to know it up front.

Back