Trying to identify source of small amount of brownish water in bilge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davec004

Reaction score
First full season upon me as a Parker owner! Purchased a 2001 1801 towards the end of last summer and have had a great time on it so far. Boat is very seaworthy and the engine (2000 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke) has run well. There have obviously been the inevitable little things to worry about / address on a 20+ year old boat, but nothing too serious. One thing I'm having trouble pinpoiting is the potential cause for a recurring, very small amount of dark, brownish water in my bilge. I haven't identified any leaks and it doesn't have any sort of smell (fuel, etc.). It has a very slight oily feel, but it is watery vs. feeling like some kind of lubricant. The only leak I have identified is a minor one with the trim tilt resrvoir, but I believe that should be contained to the outside of the hull. Any ideas for me? Could it be from rotting/waterlogged wood somewhere? I did fill / washdown the bilge the other day so it may just be some of the water making it's way back to the bilge picking up some crud along the way? Pic attached showing what I am seeing. The weird thing to me is how it appears to be leaking from the back, from the drain plug area, to the front.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 112
I have seen that color from soaked wood . If it is not the bilge pump hose. The bilge plug should be behind the bilge pump and it looks like it’s running from that direction. Check the plug and the fitting may need to be resealed. Check all screws and fittings along the transom to make sure they are sealed

Actually I would start by removing the bilge pump to get a better look at where it is originating from. The bilge pump base is screwed to the hull make sure they are caulked also

First full season upon me as a Parker owner! Purchased a 2001 1801 towards the end of last summer and have had a great time on it so far. Boat is very seaworthy and the engine (2000 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke) has run well. There have obviously been the inevitable little things to worry about / address on a 20+ year old boat, but nothing too serious. One thing I'm having trouble pinpoiting is the potential cause for a recurring, very small amount of dark, brownish water in my bilge. I haven't identified any leaks and it doesn't have any sort of smell (fuel, etc.). It has a very slight oily feel, but it is watery vs. feeling like some kind of lubricant. The only leak I have identified is a minor one with the trim tilt resrvoir, but I believe that should be contained to the outside of the hull. Any ideas for me? Could it be from rotting/waterlogged wood somewhere? I did fill / washdown the bilge the other day so it may just be some of the water making it's way back to the bilge picking up some crud along the way? Pic attached showing what I am seeing. The weird thing to me is how it appears to be leaking from the back, from the drain plug area, to the front.
The only 'brownish liquids' like that I've seen on boats over the years is oil, water seeping from rotted wood, or a spilt Diet Pepsi, (and brown liquor, but nobody spills that).... Wipe it up. Does it feel oily? Does it smell oily?.... If it's from rotted wood, it will sometimes have a slightly sweet smell.

Last edited:
I'll echo the wet wood. Since I had the same thing happening on my 2001 this year.

I'd bet if you remove the access hatch, you'll find the wood there is soaked.

On mine it seemed the gasket around the floor had worn a bit and allowed it to get wet. I did my best to dry it out before removing the shrink wrap, and coated the wood with fiberglass resin to seal it up.

I'll echo the wet wood. Since I had the same thing happening on my 2001 this year.

I'd bet if you remove the access hatch, you'll find the wood there is soaked.

On mine it seemed the gasket around the floor had worn a bit and allowed it to get wet. I did my best to dry it out before removing the shrink wrap, and coated the wood with fiberglass resin to seal it up.
Bilge pump mounting base is wood with gel coat. Pull pump n inspect base

What Brent said, But I throught they had gotten away from that and used a piece of Coosa.......But that is exactly where I'd take a core sample with a drill....If it is....Remove the screws holding the pump /pumps.....seal the holes and reinstall the pumps.

I would pull that bilge pump and float switch. Clean up everything and dry it out. Then put a piece of paper in there and let it sit for 24 hrs. You may be able to see if it’s a drip from above, like at the hatch edge or if it’s at the bilge pump base like warthog and Brent mentioned. Either way, it doesn’t look that bad. Was the boat keep in the water? Or on a trailer and not angled well for it to drain completely? And welcome to the 20 year old boat club!

There maybe a breather hose coming off your engine that is ventilated into the bilge. That looks like diluted engine oil to me coming off a crankcase breather hose and mixing with moisture in the bilge. The breather tube is not going to be a big hose, more like something similar to an air line for a fish tank and should be in the bundle of wires coming off the engine through the rigging tube.

Never heard of an engine breather hose in the bilge.
Is this a trailered boat? I love removing the pump, drying everything and waiting. It will be obvious. Plan "A" may be a bright light and inspection mirror, but you will still need to dry everything first. But both options are pretty much free.

Never heard of an engine breather hose in the bilge.
Is this a trailered boat? I love removing the pump, drying everything and waiting. It will be obvious. Plan "A" may be a bright light and inspection mirror, but you will still need to dry everything first. But both options are pretty much free.

My F225 had one for sure....

That looks like water stained from wood my friend. It doesn’t necessarily mean rot but my 2520 I noticed same thing this year when I first got it home from boat yard. Try to identify where drip is coming from, then address why it’s getting wet if you can. Fiberglass resin was what was suggested to me to re seal the wood.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I've been meaning to follow up on this thread. Good news is whatever it was stopped (i.e., no more colored water appearing after having wiped it up a couple of times). I think it was the result of me filling the bilge to test the bilge pump auto turning on. However, as a lot of you pointed out, there's a good chance it is wood stained water so I'll have to keep an eye on this as I use the boat.

Latest posts

Back