What grease is best?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstelmac

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was using all purpose grease on my engine and trailer fittings. I probably should have been using a marine grade grease but I'm not sure what I should use. Does anyone have a preference? I sure would appreciate your opinions.

thanks,
Matt

Im sure Dale will chime in, but what he normally recommends, and what i use, is evinrude johnson blue grease, cheaper than the other versions but just as good. you can get it at west marine or similar boating stores. apply liberally to everything that might need it, especially fasteners.

Yes, but I use 2 greases for what is asked. As stated, for engines and controls, I use that premium blue-colored waterproof synthetic grease that all OB makers sell. As stated, the US-labeled brands can be had for sometimes as low as half the price of the Yummie version.

For trailers, I use a premium trailer bearing grease. So there's 2 grease guns in my kit.

One other thing, I buy a huge 1-pound tub of that blue stuff and re-fill the small tubes that are used in the handheld grease guns. Works slick and saves you money.

For trailers, a large grease gun loaded with whatever marine grease is available. You'll go through a lot, so its not worth it imho to spend $$ on synthetics. A nitrile glove is the perfect thing to keep the grease from getting everywhere. Not on your hand, but on the gun tip.

For the engine, a small, spring-loaded gun with good quality synthetic OB marine grease. As already said, US OB MFR's sell it for a lot less than some of the Japanese OB MFR's, including yamaha and honda. Same with fuel filters and fittings. A filter for a yamaha F250 is the same as the suzuki F200, but costs 2-3x more. The Mercury version is a buck less than the 'Zuke.

sparky":1nznv0fp said:
For trailers, a large grease gun loaded with whatever marine grease is available. You'll go through a lot, so its not worth it imho to spend $$ on synthetics. A nitrile glove is the perfect thing to keep the grease from getting everywhere. Not on your hand, but on the gun tip.

For the engine, a small, spring-loaded gun with good quality synthetic OB marine grease. As already said, US OB MFR's sell it for a lot less than some of the Japanese OB MFR's, including yamaha and honda. Same with fuel filters and fittings. A filter for a yamaha F250 is the same as the suzuki F200, but costs 2-3x more. The Mercury version is a buck less than the 'Zuke.
I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad to hear you reiterate things I've been saying for years. But, I know people who will gladly pay the 2-3X premium for their favorite name on the product label. Go figure :shock: !

Back