What is your favorite boating/fishing GIZMO?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Bryan you got me, we drink beer but you can’t drink beer all the time so we try to drink some water too. :) I got tired of carrying all those plastic bottles so I wanted the water fountain. Actually what really makes it great is how well it washes stuff off with little pressure. You can rinse off lures and reels with ease. I love it.

ReelyNauti, you’re the captain and what you say goes. I have no problem with that. Me, I don’t have a problem with others drinking as long as they maintain control. As long as they maintain it has no effect with how I do my job as captain. I don’t have too many people on my boat that I don’t know well so maybe that’s part of it.

Actually, I have two favorites in this picture.

One is the tool holder that I made using a Stickums bath room shelf. I has the pressurized suction cups, kinda like the sea sucker, but it only cost like $9 at Lowes. I just drilled some different size holes in it to accommodate different size tools. At the end of the day, I can just remove it and throw in the transom container for storage.

The second one is the hook remover. I know a lot of guys like those dehookers and I admit they work well in gut hooked fish but I prefer that stainless thing I circled. Not sure what brand it is but it's about 8" long (they make longer ones) and it has a "C" shaped opening that locks on to the when grip type tip on it whn you squeeze the handle. Twist and boom....the hook is out. I've had better luck with those than the dehhookers.

Actually, Mango Tango has a miniature dehooker that he uses to remove the very small hooks (sabiki) from pins and other bait fish. It's awesome as those little pins fins can sometimes stick you good. I've tried using it but I can't figure it out. I need to practice more.

Attachments

• hook remover.JPG
    hook remover.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 289
Screw in clips. Made out of plastic. Under $10 at WM for a set of four, adds utility to the rod holder area.

I use it for brushes and boat hook. Easier to get to than having to turn the lock on the holders, then thread the post through the hole...etc.,

The picture was taken before I moved the brush up to the holder. I had just stuck the boat hook in and hadn't moved the brush yet so no smart alec remarks from the peanut gallery :wink:

Attachments

• Extra Holders (Medium).jpg
    Extra Holders (Medium).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 289
Window stoppers.

I actually got this idea from Mr. McGyver (Mango Tango).

These are rain gutter nail guides. Just ripped a small opening length wise with a dremel and slide it over the arm that holds your windows open.

Don't know about you but the tension mechanism on my windows doesn't work very well. As the boat bounces off the waves, the mechanism inevitably loosens and the windows slams closed.

These stoppers...well, stop the window from closing when the top part meets the guide, which in turn is stopped by the bottom part of the arm. Clear as mud??

You get the concept.

You can cut them in different lengths, depending on how much you want the window to stay open.

< $10 at HD for a bag of 50. If anyone wants a few, pm me your address and I'll stick them in an envelope for you.

Attachments

• windowbar1.jpg
    windowbar1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 289
  • windowbar2.jpg
    windowbar2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 289
Lead Containers. $1 each at the dollar store. Good for 1, maybe two seasons, before the sun cooks the non uv protected container and cracks it.

Put a non skid under it to keep them from sliding around. Rain drains right out of the holes and put lead in easy reach for everyone on board. I am going to throw the leader container in one of them. The hooks are in the Parmesan cheese containers but I am going to get some watertight containers I saw in the nuts and bolts section of HD.

OK. Your Turn

Attachments

• Lead Container Hook and Swivels.JPG
    Lead Container Hook and Swivels.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Lead Container.JPG
    Lead Container.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 289
Those black straps on the side of the top.

That is where I keep them stored (couple bucks at home depot), but they are velco and I use them for everything.

I also may little bungies that you cannot see in the picture to hold the rods in the rocket launcher in rough weather. Lost my brand new conquor reel this summer and was NOT happy about it.

Attachments

• onetide.jpg
    onetide.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 279
I'd have to say the factory-installed electric anchor windlass is the most used and most time-saving gizmo on the Diamond. If I ever buy another boat, the windlass will be at the top of the options list. When I run out of money for options, other things will get struck from the list, but never the windlass.

Dave

aka

I'm at Solomons in So. Md, right on the Patuxent River. Takes me about 5 minutes to exit the river and enter the main stem of the bay. If you mean "ocean" when you say "open water" then that is about 100 nm South of me.

Dave

aka

Back