1801 & Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Quest

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reellucky18

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the new Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Quest on their 1801?

I currently have a MotorGuide XI5 (MG) on mine but considering upgrading to this newer model. However my concern is the almost double weight moving from my current MG trolling motor (~50lbs) to the Minn Kota Quest (100lbs).

If anyone has installed one of these newer models AND had a trolling motor of any manufacture, did you notice any performance changes, boat handling, etc.?
I do have trim tabs so balancing the boat while underway will not be an issue, but I am just wondering if there are any other things to consider with this extra weight added to the bow.

Wow...50lbs more than your current TM (same shaft length?)? I was looking at the Instinct Quest 87" (auto deploy/stow) and that weighed less than 100lbs.
Yup. This is for the 60" shaft. That also doesn't include the beefy quick release bracket which weighs around 8lbs. That is minimal, but 50lbs more on the bow seems like a lot. I imagine I could put 50lbs of weight up there & take it for a cruise & see how it handles, but I was just curious if anyone went down this route.

I am posting this back on my own thread in case this will help others who might be switching their trolling motor to the new Minn Kota Quest Models (Riptide Terrova or Instinct Quest models for example).

I will be spending more time on this over the weekend and I'll update this thread with any additional pics I come up with in case it helps anyone else.

The smaller mount is from my old MotorGuide XI5, and the larger mount is the RTA-55 mount for the new Minn Kota Quests. As you can see there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in size. I did not buy the Minn Kota motor yet as I wanted to make sure this mount would work on my boat, so the install will not be started/completed yet, but, tomorrow once I get a chance to play around with it & I feel confident it will work, I'll order the motor & set to get it installed possibly sometime next week.

I welcome any thoughts, especially from those who have installed a Minn Kota Quest motor on an 1801.

Attachments

• IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
Wow that is a big quick release bracket. I currently have a terrova 72inch 36 volt on my 2100 DVCC. Plan was to switch to the new Instinct but I chickened out after seeing the mount size at the AC Boat show. Would love to have the auto deploy / stow feature but not sure that size mount would work. Since it is a brushless motor with more torque MK had to beef up the mount. Good luck!!

Wow that is a big quick release bracket. I currently have a terrova 72inch 36 volt on my 2100 DVCC. Plan was to switch to the new Instinct but I chickened out after seeing the mount size at the AC Boat show. Would love to have the auto deploy / stow feature but not sure that size mount would work. Since it is a brushless motor with more torque MK had to beef up the mount. Good luck!!
It is definitely beefy! I’m still unsure if it will work or not, and unfortunately the true only way I’ll know is if I buy the motor to account for the 1 & 1/2” gap between the rub rail & the vertical drop from the motor shaft. I’ll do my best to see if I can even affix this giant mount with a backing plate underneath underneath tomorrow. If not, I may have to go a different route

It is definitely beefy! I’m still unsure if it will work or not, and unfortunately the true only way I’ll know is if I buy the motor to account for the 1 & 1/2” gap between the rub rail & the vertical drop from the motor shaft. I’ll do my best to see if I can even affix this giant mount with a backing plate underneath underneath tomorrow. If not, I may have to go a different route
My arm still hurts from reaching to tighten the bolts and holding up the backing plate under the deck. And that was 3 years ago! Good luck...be awaiting the outcome.

Past information has been a LOT of problems with self deploy.... I've never installed one and steer people away from them.

Nothing like a half deployed TM that is stuck. THEN what do you do?

You will need to build a alum plate to affix the quick release mount to. This will cantilever over the side of the boat.
I build a bunch of them.. Each is unique to the boat and custom.

Doing one now on a 201Key West.

Wow that is a massive bracket. I choose rhodan and yes have had a few problems. But I had the motor back in service with a quick call and a shipped part.

Have you considered a Shuttleslide mount? High quality product and it allows you to mount everything inboard of the gunwale including the foot of the motor so it is not hanging out wating to be damaged while docking or launching. But of course it would add about $500 or $600 to the overall installation cost. Best customer service I have ever encountered....they are a phone call away and will help advise step by step. Take a look.

Past information has been a LOT of problems with self deploy.... I've never installed one and steer people away from them.

Nothing like a half deployed TM that is stuck. THEN what do you do?

You will need to build a alum plate to affix the quick release mount to. This will cantilever over the side of the boat.
I build a bunch of them.. Each is unique to the boat and custom.

Doing one now on a 201Key West.
Yeah I am familiar with the older version & all the issues. Minn Kota addresses a lot of them but time will tell. Also, they realized their failure & added a manual method to retract the motor. For as much as I move, I would prefer that option now that there is the ability to manual stow in case of issue.

However, this is a moot point because I gave up on the Quest model & going with the Riptide Terrova, but the 36v 112lb version. Currently working through that mount which is also beefy, but a slightly smaller form factor over the Quest model. 3” shorter to be exact.

Many will say that 112lb is overkill or not needed for this size boat. However I sit in some pretty mean currents & my old 80lb could never hold. If this 112lb doesn’t hold, that’s ok too, but I had to try something different.

Have you considered a Shuttleslide mount? High quality product and it allows you to mount everything inboard of the gunwale including the foot of the motor so it is not hanging out wating to be damaged while docking or launching. But of course it would add about $500 or $600 to the overall installation cost. Best customer service I have ever encountered....they are a phone call away and will help advise step by step. Take a look.
I briefly looked into one of those, but opted to go in a different direction & go with the previous Riptide Terrova 60” 36v 112lb motor. That bracket is beefy as well, but not as long as the Quest model. Still working on it, but I should (fingers crossed) have it installed sometime tomorrow.

Finally have the Riptide Terrova 36v 112lb installed & operational. The only real pain was the bracket once mounted to the boat, the rail that holds the mounts together would not go in. I tried everything I could with small wedges, bolt tighten & loosening, etc. nothing. The holes just would not line up, prob do to the super slight curve of bow. So I resolved that with my spade bit going from the existing 1/2” to 9/16”. That did the trick. It is still difficult to get it, but at least it is not getting jammed up.

Test run this weekend. I have spots where the current absolutely rips consistently (minus slack tide). I’ll give it a go & report back if the higher lb trust made any difference over the 80lb.

Question for anyone following along…
Where did you mount your quick disconnect for your trolling motor? I current have an inline disconnect that hangs in the anchor locker, but I’d like to make that part a bit more organized. Any suggestions?

inline disconnect that hangs in the anchor locker,

Are you by chance speaking of a Anderson plug?

Anything hanging is going to be flopping around....and in a anchor locker is eventually going to be snagged.

This is a Anderson plug

610LFLfC-4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Are you by chance speaking of a Anderson plug?

Anything hanging is going to be flopping around....and in a anchor locker is eventually going to be snagged.

This is a Anderson plug

610LFLfC-4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yes sir, that’s the one. It is what I had from my older MotorGuide & I have purchased the Minn Kota Quick Disconnect but haven’t mounted it yet. This Anderson plug is only temporary but I wanted to see where others have mounted their quick disconnect for their trolling motor.

I don't use those any more. Shoving bare wires in a hole with a setscrew is how a lot of people do them. It should have farrels on the wires, but I still don't use them , as the Battery Tender TM plug is superior.
I just installed one yesterday.

027-0004-B-front-Power-Connector-shadow_540x540.jpg

I’ll second the Battery Tender plug. Here’s mine: EE48C933-B95E-4884-9B8D-6F70A551704D.jpeg

The other thing with these plugs is that they lock into place via a threaded rod, which engages into the socket with about a half-turn of the knob on the plug. It creates a really solid connection that WILL NOT come loose. Some of the other types of plugs (MK, Marinco, etc.) just use a cheesy o-ring, press in, or twist lock type of connector. I could easily see those getting knocked loose and making a bad connection.

I’ll second the Battery Tender plug. Here’s mine: View attachment 39880

The other thing with these plugs is that they lock into place via a threaded rod, which engages into the socket with about a half-turn of the knob on the plug. It creates a really solid connection that WILL NOT come loose. Some of the other types of plugs (MK, Marinco, etc.) just use a cheesy o-ring, press in, or twist lock type of connector. I could easily see those getting knocked loose and making a bad connection.
X3 on the Battery Tender plug

Back