2021 Parker 2320 and Minn Kota Trolling motor installation.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what would happen, in a strong headwind or current situation, if you had a kicker motor on the bracket locked into pushing slow ahead, and had the bow mounted trolling motor in spot lock adjusting for lateral motion? Would the trolling motor just see less overall astern vector and apply less power, thereby saving your battery? Or would they fight each other? Could you do it with the main engine, idling forward?

What about TWO trolling motors in spot lock??? Or a generator setup capable of producing the current needed to run the TM indefinitely?

I'm mostly kidding about the two motors, but the engine(s) in conjunction with the TM intrigues me. I work with Dynamic Positioning vessels in my day job, so the idea of automatic station keeping on small boats is fascinating to me.😁

I fished 2 days ago in 3 ft. seas with a 10-15mph wind. Spot locked each bottom fishing location: Held dead nuts, no cavitation, fished for 6 hours. When I got back to the dock, plugged the lithium batteries in, I still had 72% battery life. There is no need for auxiliary motors or a second trolly w/ the 36V system especially lithium power. One trolling motor is more than adequate for my size boat ( 2320). But, cool thoughts... just over the top for the need.

We use bow TM for steering and autopilot features in conjunction with kicker for propulsion when we troll lake Ontario. It saves your main outboard big time.

Outstanding work! Man this would get EVERY thought out of my head about moving to a cc. That and that hideous 22 they just launched.

I just left the battery manufacturers website. You added less than 60 pounds of batteries! Wow. They say you will get THOUSANDS of cycles at 80% discharge. Just wow. If they last 8 or so years they would pay for themselves. Again outstanding work.

Sydngoose, I only just saw your post. This is something I am going to do with my 2120sc. Regrettably your pics are not viewable now. Do you have them posted anywhere I could view them?

I currently have an 80 MK on a 17 Mako and love the spot lock. Haven't needed an anchor for fishing since installed and want the same for the Parker.

I fished 2 days ago in 3 ft. seas with a 10-15mph wind. Spot locked each bottom fishing location: Held dead nuts, no cavitation, fished for 6 hours. When I got back to the dock, plugged the lithium batteries in, I still had 72% battery life. There is no need for auxiliary motors or a second trolly w/ the 36V system especially lithium power. One trolling motor is more than adequate for my size boat ( 2320). But, cool thoughts... just over the top for the need.
Sydngoose
I have a 2520 that I am looking to install on and am having difficulty with the install under the bow rail. Can you send a better picture of your setup? I don't want to have to cut my rail, but it's looking like that may be the only way to deploy the motor. Getting the long shaft out under the rail could be tricky as it is a heavy unit. Any and all help much appreciated.

I see your pics now, don't know why I couldn't before. The install looks great! Thanks for sharing a great project.

With all the posts about TM installs, I’m curious as to where everyone is sourcing their motors these days. I’ve had a 112 MinnKota Terrova with 87” shaft in order since Feb 2021 with no arrival date in sight.

Sydngoose,

You sir, are an artist. I'll admit, I'm terrible about viewing forums and not posting (shame on me), but I feel compelled to compliment your work and the excellent write-up, especially the detailed photos and parts list. One question...how did you cut the aluminum? If you saved that plywood template, you could probably sell those plates on here...

Nice! I ordered a 87 for my 22ft cat and I’m really worried about how far the head will stick back. Not a whole lot of room I don’t have a pulpit.

Good morning.

I am going to install a Minn Kota Terrova Ipilot 36 volt 112 pound thrust trolling motor on the bow. I am conflicted now w/ the shaft length.

I purchased a new 87" Minn Kota, and it's sitting in my garage. This shaft is HUGE. I am concerned about mounting it on the bow and having so much shaft length. My goal is install it such that the entire trolly is within the bow rail foot print ( for docking and trailering and lift : which all have guide on pole obstructions).

I know the 72" shaft can be mounted 100% w/ in the constraints of the bow rail with no rail cutting.

I can not see how the 87" shaft is going to be contained 100% w/ in the bow rail / rub rail constraints.

I have the opportunity to sell this MK to a buddy for exactly what I paid for it. I would then purchase the 72" shaft.

Question to you fellas: Is the 87" shaft absolutely necessary for wreck anchoring offshore w/ the 2320 specs?

Is it worth sacrificing the convenience of mounting it and leaving it on ? Or is the inconvenience of removing it to trailer and dock and lift access trumped by the ability to anchor in any sea conditions knowing that the extra 15" will stay submerged even in 2-3 foot seas?

Thoughts?
Hi, By any chance do you have the shop's phone # that made the aluminum powdered coated mount?

Hi what size batteries did you use? I’m thinking of buying 3 12v100ah lithium

Hi what size batteries did you use? I’m thinking of buying 3 12v100ah lithium

That's literally double the capacity that you need. Remember, with Lithium your "amp hours" capacity is doubled...so a 50 ah lithium is equivalent to 100ah AGM. Go with (3) 50ah lithium 12 volts in series, and you won't be dissapointed. I personally went with RELION lithium as that is the only battery recommended by the number one trolly motor installer in NE Florida ( Boattronics/ Tony Eden).

Here are the batteries I bought. I didn't buy them from this locations: Just wanted to post the batteries: RELiON 12V 50Ah Lithium Battery

Hi, By any chance do you have the shop's phone # that made the aluminum powdered coated mount?

I made the template out of 1/2" marine ply. Then, I brought the template to Boatronics N. Florida. The boys there cut out the aluminum plate for me and had it powder coated locally. I picked it up and installed it.

Boattronics/ Tony Eden: Phone: (904) 545-1270
But, if you call, they just can't cut you a pulpit mount. They would need a template. I loaned my template out to a local Parker member here. I need to get that back.
I did hav a CAD drawing made up to help other members, but there was a problem with the CAD and I never followed up on it. So, I just made a single template for my application.

To answer the question about crawling out onto the pulpit, no. I simply walk to the bow, foot press release, slide the shaft, elevate the head, drop her down. No obstruction, not awkward at all. Fishing this week. I will post a video.

Back