Batteries in the bilge area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodick93

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing this thing where I store my boat (19' 2320) with a wick hanging from the garboard drain and the other end in the bilge water. Keeps it BONE dry.
Well, I noticed a weird erosion in my drain fitting, and the wicks last no time, so I ordered some pH paper, and HOLY SHIT. My batteries (factory Deka marine masters) and charger are in there. I do charge the batteries and keep them well maintained, but I never rinse them, and they don't leak. Just a little residue around the vents after charging.
I will rinse now, and add a little baking soda to boot. Batteries are 2018 and still test a solid 850 cca, their rating. AGMs next year for sure. Second pic is just now after rinse and dumping some baking soda in there. As if I don't have enough things to be ocd about haha!

IMG_20230702_210054695.jpg
IMG_20230704_132742723_HDR.jpg

I have been doing this thing where I store my boat (19' 2320) with a wick hanging from the garboard drain and the other end in the bilge water. Keeps it BONE dry.
Well, I noticed a weird erosion in my drain fitting, and the wicks last no time, so I ordered some pH paper, and HOLY SHIT. My batteries (factory Deka marine masters) and charger are in there. I do charge the batteries and keep them well maintained, but I never rinse them, and they don't leak. Just a little residue around the vents after charging.
I will rinse now, and add a little baking soda to boot. Batteries are 2018 and still test a solid 850 cca, their rating. AGMs next year for sure. Second pic is just now after rinse and dumping some baking soda in there. As if I don't have enough things to be ocd about haha!

View attachment 37253
View attachment 37254
Are your batteries housed inside battery boxes?

View attachment 37253
View attachment 37254
What kind of charger are you using? If it’s an older type, it’s likely frying your batteries, which would cause the off-gassing you’re experiencing. Off-gassing to the point that it’s causing pH issues in your bilge water is a definite symptom of overcharging.

What kind of charger are you using? If it’s an older type, it’s likely frying your batteries, which would cause the off-gassing you’re experiencing. Off-gassing to the point that it’s causing pH issues in your bilge water is a definite symptom of overcharging.
I think the problem stemmed from the fact the floor hatch always leaked on them. So when I charged them, probably every two weeks in the summer, all residue at the caps went to the bilge. Well charging or not, they rinsed to the bilge. That combined with the metal composition of my drain plug, ate it up. The batteries made it from 2018 till last week. Replaced with X2 AGM 31s. I have a Minn Kota precision digital (with Deka Marine masters before last week).
One more thing may have contributed. I "equalized" my batteries several times this year, trying to get #2 to come back. That charges them at a really high voltage and definitely vented more battery juice, which subsequently got a rainwater rinse.
This is what kicked everything off:
Buy good hardware! Garboard drain '19 2320

Last edited:
Things I see All the time. This style battery tray is the most common.

battery-tray.jpg

I hate them and they Suck at keeping your batteries from moving.

I only use these.

att-9090-5_lg__28832.1558143452.jpg

But before I install them..... I drill a 1/4in hole in each corner. WHY? So when you wash your bilge... The batteries are not sitting in a puddle of water for a month.

It's just one more "Detail" that no one else does.

Things I see All the time. This style battery tray is the most common.

battery-tray.jpg

I hate them and they Suck at keeping your batteries from moving.

I only use these.

att-9090-5_lg__28832.1558143452.jpg

But before I install them..... I drill a 1/4in hole in each corner. WHY? So when you wash your bilge... The batteries are not sitting in a puddle of water for a month.

It's just one more "Detail" that no one else does.
For the record Wart, drilling the holes in the containment tray knocks the installation out of ABYC E-10 compliance as the tray is required to be able to contain spilled electrolyte. Not saying it’s a bad idea practically, but it doesn’t meet standards.

For the record Wart, drilling the holes in the containment tray knocks the installation out of ABYC E-10 compliance as the tray is required to be able to contain spilled electrolyte. Not saying it’s a bad idea practically, but it doesn’t meet standards.
I agree with the compliance, but with AGM batteries I’m more concerned with water that can’t drain out of the trays than spilled electrolyte. I also drill the 1/4” holes.

Well OK, BUT A Clean bilge makes a safer boat. That standing water is nasty.

When I know I can clean it and it dries completely ,It's just a better place. :)

Back