Fuel tank longevity

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the gas tank can be a problem. I get a strong gas smell from the bilge and under console on my 2001 SE 21. I own the boat since new. Does the boat have an aluminum tank in it as part of original equipment? Doesn't appear to have gas in bilge, but smell is bad especially after filling. Any ideas?

Sounds like the gas tank can be a problem. I get a strong gas smell from the bilge and under console on my 2001 SE 21. I own the boat since new. Does the boat have an aluminum tank in it as part of original equipment? Doesn't appear to have gas in bilge, but smell is bad especially after filling. Any ideas?

Yes, all Parkers with below deck fuel tanks have aluminum tanks, unless it's been previously replaced. I would start by checking all your hoses, especially your fill line and vent line if the smell is worse when fueling. After that, check the gasket on your sending unit (probably best to just replace that). If that doesn't solve your problem, your boat is in the age range for a new tank so that may be your next move. But check the easy stuff first.

My Parker is 33 years old with original tank. Change your sending unit gasket.

Reactions: Efx
The simple answer is YES.

The problem lies in the unknown. You can pull the pieholes and look in there....But it really doesn't tell you what you want to know. If it's clean in there...Id say you have a GOOD chance it is fine.

Note: I've Never seen it clean in there unless the boat was brand new or a tank was recently installed.

The problem is...It is impossible to inspect unless the boat is cut apart.

If the tank needs replacing......It's $12 per gal......Fill hose is aprox $12ft....vent hose is $8ft.....Fuel feed hose is $4ft

new 4lb density foam.....Coal Tar epoxy.........Repair to the deck.....The job can easily hit $6000
Spent $ 7000 replacing my 15 year old tank. Started with vapors in the console and progressively got worse.

I have a 1994 18CC.... no problems with tank.. inspected every year...

That's Funny Offduty....Considering.....The only inspection that can be done is via the 2 pieholes and that certainly is not inspecting the whole tank. Leaks usually come from where it is embedded in the foam. Pretty much a piehole inspection would reveal a sending unit gasket leak...... But not a full tank inspection.

That's Funny Offduty....Considering.....The only inspection that can be done is via the 2 pieholes and that certainly is not inspecting the whole tank. Leaks usually come from where it is embedded in the foam. Pretty much a piehole inspection would reveal a sending unit gasket leak...... But not a full tank inspection.
Warthog: I inspect my tanks and sending units everytime I go out. If I smell fuel.......no good. If I don't....All's good. Also, if there are any leaks, it ends up in the bilge which is easily detected. Replaced each sender gasket once and when they go bad, yes, you smell the fuel that ends up in the bilge. I have had my tanks pressure tested. So far so good on that (2003 2801CC).

I have a 96 hull that is a former North Carolina wildlife boat. Was wondering if anyone knew if the fuel tank was built any different for these boats?

I have a 96 hull that is a former North Carolina wildlife boat. Was wondering if anyone knew if the fuel tank was built any different for these boats?
Mine looks like usual Parker. I doubt they will put different tanks. It changes boat attitude. They put bigger outboards and make hull/transom thicker if needs be.

Coincidence that I have a former Wildlfie boat from Florida fish and games the same vintage. Original tank and so far no leaks.

Thank you for feed back warthog.... all seems to be fine with it... like the old saying... if it’s not broken don’t fix it... boat was garaged kept its entire life...but I will definitely keep an eye on it

Coincidence that I have a former Wildlfie boat from Florida fish and games the same vintage. Original tank and so far no leaks.
There's a lot of discussion on CP about the 'issue' with fuel tank replacement. If it's any consolation, 'the issue' is not exclusive to Parkers. If you follow some of the other boating sites, especially the sites specific to other boat brands, (meaning, not THT) it is a common thread (including Grady's and other 'premium-priced' boats). A popular boat in eastern NC, and even in the Chesapeake are the Privateers. They're made in Belhaven, NC near to where I live. They're well-built; some say the hulls are 'bulletproof', super strong, and even the old ones are in high demand (Many North Carolina and Virginia Universities have them for their marine research boats)... I have a dozen + friends who own them; some have 2-3. And, I 'know of' countless other people with Privateers. There is not a single one that I know of, that has NOT had the fuel tank replaced....
I know the following is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but our 1982 Diesel cruiser still has the original fuel tank. Our 1986 Diesel cruiser still has BOTH of the original 150 gallon fuel tanks. (If you're getting ready to ask, you are correct; they are not aluminum, (they're epoxy-coated black iron).... I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's not impossible to build boats where the fuel tanks can be a nearly-permanent part of the boat... from what I see here on CP, unless you can do that job your self, it's a very expensive and time-consuming job.
(I don't still own the cruisers; but I have stayed in close-touch with the present owners; in fact I 'visit' the CT often)

I replace pie plates every 3 years. Spray fuel sender area twice a year hope it works.
" Bean "

I mentioned earlier in this thread I build replacement tanks. Have built several for Parkers. I have seen tanks in Parkers completely ate up with corrosion and electroloysis in 10year boats including one a Parker. I have seen other boats 25yrs old where they tank looked brand new, including a few Parkers. However I would say 75% of the tanks I replace are in boats from 15-20 yr old. What I can't believe is the prices some of you are having to pay for tanks. I am building a new 143 gallon tank next week. The aluminum will be here Tuesday and it will cost $239. A new Wema sending unit is $68. New fill spout, new vent, and 2 new pick up tubes and fittings will run me another $50. This tank is going in a boat being refurbished for re sale so the guy wanted to go with 1/8" 5052 H32 aluminum. It will take about $50 of welding supplies. Build time will be between 6-7 hours.. I am charging the guy $1430. So I will clear almost $1000 for 7hrs of work. Normally I would use 3/16" for a tank this size and spray with a self-etching paint which would be about $250 more than the bare metal 1/8" thick tank.

I mentioned earlier in this thread I build replacement tanks. Have built several for Parkers. I have seen tanks in Parkers completely ate up with corrosion and electroloysis in 10year boats including one a Parker. I have seen other boats 25yrs old where they tank looked brand new, including a few Parkers. However I would say 75% of the tanks I replace are in boats from 15-20 yr old. What I can't believe is the prices some of you are having to pay for tanks. I am building a new 143 gallon tank next week. The aluminum will be here Tuesday and it will cost $239. A new Wema sending unit is $68. New fill spout, new vent, and 2 new pick up tubes and fittings will run me another $50. This tank is going in a boat being refurbished for re sale so the guy wanted to go with 1/8" 5052 H32 aluminum. It will take about $50 of welding supplies. Build time will be between 6-7 hours.. I am charging the guy $1430. So I will clear almost $1000 for 7hrs of work. Normally I would use 3/16" for a tank this size and spray with a self-etching paint which would be about $250 more than the bare metal 1/8" thick tank.
Where are you located out of?

Back