Gel coat 21se

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleopoldi914

Reaction score
I was washing my boat and notice that in my well in the transom there is a nick and some gel coat missing.

I have a pint of gel coat that i got from Parker that a pro used to repair some of the sprayed gel on the gunnels.

The Can picture says ext on it. Is the external color of the boat different from the deck?

Also for my to repair would I just put some of the gel coat in a cup, add a few drops of hardener (is the pic of the hardener right?), use acetone to clean area, then painters tape the area, use a brush to lay the gel coat in the gauge, wait for it to dry a few hours. Wet sand at 220, then 1000, compound and then wax

Pic 1: pic of gel coat can i got from parker

Pic 2 area where the nick/gouge is it’s in the well though.

Pic 3 is this the right hardener?

I can post more pics when I go to the boat tomorrow

Attachments

• 16421975-55A2-4427-8F3A-EC950CC78AFC.jpeg
    16421975-55A2-4427-8F3A-EC950CC78AFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1D25B8DA-2B7A-4B04-84AF-F17E4512F391.jpeg
    1D25B8DA-2B7A-4B04-84AF-F17E4512F391.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 1
  • F50A0E19-63BE-4B9E-99BC-59DE2D8993A3.png
    F50A0E19-63BE-4B9E-99BC-59DE2D8993A3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
The answer is Yes to all..... but clean, then scratch it up with 80gt sandpaper...then clean again......Pull the tape while it's still in a green state....hasn't hardened all the way.

The answer is Yes to all..... but clean, then scratch it up with 80gt sandpaper...then clean again......Pull the tape while it's still in a green state....hasn't hardened all the way.
Ok the colors of the whole boat is the same ?

See how the Can says ext on it

Where you have so much and need so little, try some on a small piece of anything and see if the color matches. I'm guessing its all the same from the factory.

It could be different gel coat from the interior and exterior, depends on the year and model. The gel coat is different from the interior and exterior on our rig.
Parker should have asked you where you were making the repairs and the year and model of your boat when you ordered the gel?

It could be different gel coat from the interior and exterior, depends on the year and model. The gel coat is different from the interior and exterior on our rig.
Parker should have asked you where you were making the repairs and the year and model of your boat when you ordered the gel?
I bought the gel coat to make a repair on the spray gel on the gunnels. Is that the same color as the gel coat in the well in the transom?

I bought the gel coat to make a repair on the spray gel on the gunnels. Is that the same color as the gel coat in the well in the transom?
On my 2021 21DVCC the color in the transom well is the same as the exterior...however not as glossy. The areas with non-skid surface are a different color than the exterior. Mix a small batch and compare colors before performing the repair. The area of the boat you are repairing is probably one of the dirtiest areas...a slight color mismatch or different gloss will never be noticed.

Ok i am looking at this and I think it’s just cosmetic but I will fix.

Underneath this is the bilge area so doubt I am soaking stringers

Attachments

• 00ADFFEE-0489-4037-B491-80D4B2D72B79.jpeg
    00ADFFEE-0489-4037-B491-80D4B2D72B79.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I was washing my boat and notice that in my well in the transom there is a nick and some gel coat missing.

I have a pint of gel coat that i got from Parker that a pro used to repair some of the sprayed gel on the gunnels.

The Can picture says ext on it. Is the external color of the boat different from the deck?

Also for my to repair would I just put some of the gel coat in a cup, add a few drops of hardener (is the pic of the hardener right?), use acetone to clean area, then painters tape the area, use a brush to lay the gel coat in the gauge, wait for it to dry a few hours. Wet sand at 220, then 1000, compound and then wax

Pic 1: pic of gel coat can i got from parker

Pic 2 area where the nick/gouge is it’s in the well though.

Pic 3 is this the right hardener?

I can post more pics when I go to the boat tomorrow
You didn’t mention adding wax. Gel coat won’t set up when exposed to air. You can also cover with Saran Wrap to seal it while it cures. I’ve never used less than 150 grit on any repair I’ve done and usually start at 220 and work my way up 600 and then transfer to a compound with a Mikita rotary buffer. Good luck

You didn’t mention adding wax. Gel coat won’t set up when exposed to air. You can also cover with Saran Wrap to seal it while it cures. I’ve never used less than 150 grit on any repair I’ve done and usually start at 220 and work my way up 600 and then transfer to a compound with a Mikita rotary buffer. Good luck
Do I really need to add wax?

I couple of coats of PVA works too. I’ve used weighed down plastic wrap and clear packing tape too. PVA is probably the cleanest and most successful for me.

Back