In hull transducer on an 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patstick

Reaction score
I’ll be getting my new 1801 shortly and I was thinking of installing an in hull transducer would appreciate if anybody has any recommendations or guidance thanks in advance

I’ll be getting my new 1801 shortly and I was thinking of installing an in hull transducer would appreciate if anybody has any recommendations or guidance thanks in advance

What exactly are you looking for? There’s probably room in the bilge for it, most MFDs can use either a thru-hull or a transom mount, sometimes they have different functions.

Narrow your question down a bit and we can probably help you.

I had an 2003 1801 that I installed an ‘in-hull’ transducer. I took a 6” PVC threaded tube and faired it to the bottom of the inside of the hull and used 5200 to adhere it. I then notched the inside of the tube so that the transducer would sit parallel to the ocean floor, filled with mineral oil, made a slit in the end cap for the transducer wire, then sealed the slit, and screwed the end cap on. It lasted years, gave great readings, never froze. I had a Garmin, so the transducer fit the 6”…the size of the tube depends on your transducer.

On a 18ftr..I would think your going to be doing a fair amount of shallow water fishing?

Transom mount will give you side scan and open a new world into your fishing.

In Hull : Do they work? Yes.....Do I want one? No......You loose water surface temp with them.

Sometimes they can be a pain to seal.

What exactly are you looking for? There’s probably room in the bilge for it, most MFDs can use either a thru-hull or a transom mount, sometimes they have different functions.

Narrow your question down a bit and we can probably help you.

Sorry I should’ve been more clear I was looking for peoples experience with them and also to see if anybody recommended one brand model over another

I agree with Warthog5. My last boat had one and when it worked it worked well, but no water temperature. Many of my friends had the same install and always had issues with losing sonar info because of loss of fluid. I have learned over the years that keeping it simple is the way to go when it comes to marine items.

I would agree with Warthog. I had one and at times it would be erratic. Many of my fellow boaters had issues with losing fluid and having to reseal. You also lose the ability to get water temperature info. I learned a long time ago that when it comes to marine items, keep it simple.

In hull, as in adhered to the hull from the inside? Never wanted one. A properly mounted through hull is the shizzle though, as the primary depth (and temp like warthog said) indication. It would be easy to replicate what Parker does at the factory, specifically the location with the cleanest water (no bubbles in water flow).

In hull, as in adhered to the hull from the inside? Never wanted one. A properly mounted through hull is the shizzle though, as the primary depth (and temp like warthog said) indication. It would be easy to replicate what Parker does at the factory, specifically the location with the cleanest water (no bubbles in water flow).
Thank you for some reason parker doesn’t offer a thru hull transducer for the 1801 it Has to be a dealer installed

I installed mine in the bilge. I used some leftover 5x5 PVC fence post and only used sealant. It's filled with water and anti freeze. It does work better than I had hoped. The depth readings are spot on but as previously stated it does have draw backs. The reason I chose this mounting was because we regularly beach the boat at the stern and often enough it was getting hit either by the kids playing or something else.

Attachments

• 20200527_142715.jpg
    20200527_142715.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 20210520_214400.jpg
    20210520_214400.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200527_151514.jpg
    20200527_151514.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 45
I installed mine in the bilge. I used some leftover 5x5 PVC fence post and only used sealant. It's filled with water and anti freeze. It does work better than I had hoped. The depth readings are spot on but as previously stated it does have draw backs. The reason I chose this mounting was because we regularly beach the boat at the stern and often enough it was getting hit either by the kids playing or something else.

That's a neat installation! Is that a special transducer for shooting through the hull, or the same transducer you would otherwise mount on the transom?

On a 18ftr..I would think your going to be doing a fair amount of shallow water fishing?

Transom mount will give you side scan and open a new world into your fishing.

In Hull : Do they work? Yes.....Do I want one? No......You loose water surface temp with them.

Sometimes they can be a pain to seal.
Thanks for the reply, sorry if this sounds stupid but I read a post that said the screws to mount the transom transducer went into the transom and water got in over the years and rotted the transom, is there any merit to this so you think?

Thanks for the reply, sorry if this sounds stupid but I read a post that said the screws to mount the transom transducer went into the transom and water got in over the years and rotted the transom, is there any merit to this so you think?
Properly installing and sealing screws in a transom, or better yet using a Transom Saver plate, is significantly easier than installing an in-hull transducer. I wouldn’t let that influence your decision.

Properly installing and sealing screws in a transom, or better yet using a Transom Saver plate, is significantly easier than installing an in-hull transducer. I wouldn’t let that influence your decision.
Thank you so much for the reply and with my research and his responses I do agree can you point me in the directions of this transom saver that you were speaking of I am not familiar with it thank you again advance!

Have you searched "Transom Saver" on the web?

Furthermore.....You have not asked or said what Chartplotter / Fishfinder you are wanting to use. Does it have CHIRP? Does it have side scan?

Yes getting water in a transom happens....It happens because the installer did not take due diligence to do the job correctly.

I had a Parker 23 center console and installed an Airmar inhull transducer that came with the yellow tank. At first it was sporadic and I found out it was leaking. I sealed it up around the inside edge with 5200. After that, it worked great for the rest of the time I had the boat. I also had a separate thruhull ducer for speed and temp. I would say the biggest advantage of inhull vs thruhull or transom mount is with a properly installed inhull you get a totally clear reading at just about any speed. Its important to grind the area the tank is going to be mounted to, down to smooth glass, removing the gelcoat and all of the air bubbles. It's also important to cut the proper angle into the bottom of the tank so your ducer is pointing straight down. If you mount it properly, I think you will really like it.

Back