Parker 2120, want to add a Garmin 126sv in the cabin

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2120 has a 8610 XSV mounted into the dash. Using side by side screens I loose too much detail. If I use the radar? It's terrible as I have to use that screen by itself. Switching screens constantly is terrible. I'd like to add the 12"screen as I had that on another boat which I really liked!

My question is has anyone mounted a 12" Garmin 126sv inside of their cabin? Plus my 2120, both front windows swing out. I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from others who have already added a secondary screen. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Silverstreek

My 2120 has a 8610 XSV mounted into the dash. Using side by side screens I loose too much detail. If I use the radar? It's terrible as I have to use that screen by itself. Switching screens constantly is terrible. I'd like to add the 12"screen as I had that on another boat which I really liked!

My question is has anyone mounted a 12" Garmin 126sv inside of their cabin? Plus my 2120, both front windows swing out. I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from others who have already added a secondary screen. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Silverstreek
Can't give you any specific guidance as far as adding a screen goes, other than your best bet may be to add it to the overhead. The space on the 2120/2320 style console is tight without some major modifications, which can be found in some older threads on here.

I will say that the addition of a fairly cheap Garmin SteadyCast heading sensor will allow you to overlay the radar picture on your chartplotter, which may help you out with your screen utilization if that's a presentation that you'd be amenable to.

Just be mindful of your view. It can get crowded real fast and those screens blocking your view to "Some" degree. Always looking up at a screen "Can" be a REAL pain in the neck. And then there is keeping it within easy reach also.

Take your time.... Look at all the senerios.

Just be mindful of your view. It can get crowded real fast and those screens blocking your view to "Some" degree. Always looking up at a screen "Can" be a REAL pain in the neck. And then there is keeping it within easy reach also.

Take your time.... Look at all the senerios.
With a screen that was too small. That was a big issue I was dealing with recently. In the fog, trying to use my radar and chart plotter at the same time. Constantly switching screens while making sure I was clear of other boats, plus making sure I was where I was supposed to be in regards to the shoreline. I have ideas where I want to install a second screen. I may have to purchase the unit first to make sure my vision is not impaired where I want to install it. Also want to make sure I have access to opening the front windows without any trouble, or exposing the back of the screen to salt water.Lots to think about.

Good Point. I'll make sure before I make a financial mistake! Thanks
You should be able to "overlay" your radar over your "chart" with or without a Garmin SteadyCast. Works on my Garmin 943xsv. The SteadyCast is a nice addition as it shows the true heading of your boat while at drift/anchor/ or a speed to slow to allow the GPS to "fix" the heading of your boat.

You should be able to "overlay" your radar over your "chart" with or without a Garmin SteadyCast. Works on my Garmin 943xsv. The SteadyCast is a nice addition as it shows the true heading of your boat while at drift/anchor/ or a speed to slow to allow the GPS to "fix" the heading of your boat.
I can and have used the radar overlay with my radar. I had other problems is why I needed to have a larger separate screen. Although foggy plus in the shipping channel on the Chesapeake Bay on one side of the buoy, Then quickly getting shallow on the other side we found some awesome sized stropped bass we stayed into for a couple of hours. Most were catch and release in the upper 30" range using light tackle. Switching between radar, chart, and the fish finder. That screen gets cluttered real quick. I came up on one buoy finding upwards of 20 plus boats I didn't know were there, mainly because I was using the fish finder. I wasn't trolling but creeping along at slightly more than idle speed to see what we could mark. So it wasn't a big deal as we had about 75 yards of unobstructed view around us. The issue became, I know what I can see, but what about what we can't see? When you try to pack so much info on a small screen? It can be overwhelming. We saw several big container ships that were barely visible, but then we also saw one pusher tug pushing massive barges constantly blowing his horn. We weren't close, but someone must have been.

I've had a 12" Garmin on my Key West. So I got spoiled. If I could take the 8" out of the console and replace it with the 12" I would. It just won't fit. After noticing how things played out that day. I definitely want to add a second screen if for nothing else? Safety.

Thanks for your suggestions! Always appreciated.

I have a '19 2320. A 12" EVO 3 was just too big to put anywhere. Overhead, in-dash or on the dash. Like Warthog said, it restricted too much view. I ended up doing a 9" in the dash, a 9 in the overhead and putting the 12" in the cockpit on a riser so the throttle would clear. It works really well, and keeps your head up. Radar (I don't have it yet) on an upper display makes a lot of sense.
I came through above the window with two new bolts just for the Evo3 9.
IMG_20230310_170050577.jpg

Thanks,
Silverstreek
Hi Silverstreek, I use a 10" tablet with built in GPS (most have this now) as my backup. The tablet bracket is suction mounted on the dash, to the right of the compass. When fishing, the Garmin is on full screen Sonar and the tablet is running the Navionics app. When cruising, I use one GPS zoomed way out and one zoomed in. The only wiring is the tablet power cable. I did add a power bank with 3 "ports": A double QC 3.0 USB, a 12V "cigarette lighter" port (I use for my fans) and a switch. The on-board USB port was not enough power to keep the tablet powered. The tablet is pure GPS, no sim card, no cell service. It's never failed me.

1706624998879.png

It would have been nice to choose mounting locations for factory electronics. They leave no space for adding a duplicate screen, even though the room is there if things were arranged more "economically" from the factory.

Last edited:
Hi Silverstreek, I use a 10" tablet with built in GPS (most have this now) as my backup. The tablet bracket is suction mounted on the dash, to the right of the compass. When fishing, the Garmin is on full screen Sonar and the tablet is running the Navionics app. When cruising, I use one GPS zoomed way out and one zoomed in. The only wiring is the tablet power cable. I did add a power bank with 3 "ports": A double QC 3.0 USB, a 12V "cigarette lighter" port (I use for my fans) and a switch. The on-board USB port was not enough power to keep the tablet powered. The tablet is pure GPS, no sim card, no cell service. It's never failed me.

View attachment 39228
Thanks for providing the photos and ideas!

I have a '19 2320. A 12" EVO 3 was just too big to put anywhere. Overhead, in-dash or on the dash. Like Warthog said, it restricted too much view. I ended up doing a 9" in the dash, a 9 in the overhead and putting the 12" in the cockpit on a riser so the throttle would clear. It works really well, and keeps your head up. Radar (I don't have it yet) on an upper display makes a lot of sense.
I came through above the window with two new bolts just for the Evo3 9.
View attachment 39227
Where you have the 9" in the overhead is where the dealer installed the marine radio. I looked at maybe moving the radio? But not happy with the 12" going in place of it. I'm toying with the idea of mounting the 12" on a swivel that can move out of the way if I want it to. Still a lot to think about. Hopefully between ideas and photos and locations, a few on this site have suggested. Gives me a direction.

Thanks

Back