Parker 34 Project Recap from NE Boat Show and some Pics

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was the last day of the New England Boat Show. A VP from the Parker Factory was in attendance, but very busy working the crowd. I was able to catch a few moments with him and asked him what he could share with us about the status of the Parker 34 Project. This may be a recap for many of you, but below is a capsule of what I learned about the new Parker 34.

The Parker 34 Project is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull is almost complete. They are anticipating a large galley and table up in the pilot house (as oopposed to down in the focs'l). In addition to the V-Berth, there will be a berth in the “aft cabin area”, meaning the sole of the pilothouse is elevated enough to allow a aft-facing berth tucked in under.

The plan is for a separate enclosed head, with hot and cold pressurized water for a shower. A compartment will be available aft for a generator, if so optioned.

The Parker 34 will have a 12 foot beam. Power is twin Yamaha 350. I asked him how they intended to attach them - transom or bracket- and he replied "an integrated bracket". I winced painfully and said.. “not like a euro-transom!” and he winced back at me and said (emphatically) ”NO”,, keeping the same classic Parker lines, but integrating the bracket into the hull.

The local dealer said that Linwood Parker made the rounds a while ago and solicited input for cabin amenities. Issues like some color in the forward cabin…instead of white and beige-only were brought up. So I guess that means to look for colorful cushions. Also discussed was some kind of teak floor treatment as opposed to just plain plastic. In general, more creature comforts for the cruising community.

Here's some photos from the Parker Dealers Booth at the 2007 NE Boat show.

2120dv.jpg

2310.jpg

2310dv.jpg

2320dv.jpg

2320dvhelm.jpg

2510xld.jpg

2520sl.jpg

2820bilge.jpg

2820xl.jpg

2820xlhelm.jpg

...John

Whats with Parker being so stubborn with Yamaha outboards only ???
If they are planning a 34 ft model, they should put a Yanmar diesel in it !
I would think that with a planing hull that size, they could get great speed with incredible fuel economy !

Capt. Ronnie":3sqbk9q8 said:
Whats with Parker being so stubborn with Yamaha outboards only ???
If they are planning a 34 ft model, they should put a Yanmar diesel in it !
I would think that with a planing hull that size, they could get great speed with incredible fuel economy !

its the same reason grady wont put in diesels- Parker has (recently) taken the stand that any size boat can be powered by outboards. to put diesels in the new model (despite how nice that would be) would mean admitting that they were wrong. i agree, it should drink diesel. but if it would mean bringing back the I/O engine box at the stern, im all for outboards

Now if that new hull allowed the motors to live under a flat floor without an exposed motor box... That would be cool. 8)

As pelagic2530 pointed out, even the big Grady 360 Express is outboard powered.

Image-8D22C8785BD611DB.jpg

I don't understand the logic either, but it is what it is.

I would imagine the reason is MONEY I would imagine it is much easier for PARKER to just build boats and then hang motors off the back ,then to get involved with all that "pesky" rigging. PARKER builds a great boat YAMAHA builds a great motor,I am sure in thier world it is much more cost effective to just build boats with as few choices in power as possible. BTW I would like to see the 34 with a keel and a YANMAR too! ala ALBIN 28TE Sign me up! :wink:

Capt.Guy":1gy0w8qa said:
ala ALBIN 28TE Sign me up! :wink:

That's -exactly- the model the Admiral and I were sitting in when she said, "Do you think the inside of the new Parker 34 will wind up lookin' somethin' like this?" :wink:

cbigma":vw5a5itg said:
Capt.Guy":vw5a5itg said:
ala ALBIN 28TE Sign me up! :wink:

That's -exactly- the model the Admiral and I were sitting in when she said, "Do you think the inside of the new Parker 34 will wind up lookin' som
ethin' like this?" :wink:
It would not take a whole lot of arm twisting to say I-DO to a clean used albin 28 Its kinda like a PARKER on Roids (alot more maintenence) I know my 1st Mate would sure be happy! ...but I really enjoy the salty little 2330. :)

Capt. Guy - As much as I like my Parker, I would lean towards a diesel if I were to move up to a 34. (not that I can) In any event, that Albin 28 is the real deal.

Brad

Parker":26j9kvtb said:
As much as I like my Parker, I would lean towards a diesel if I were to move up to a 34. (not that I can) In any event, that Albin 28 is the real deal.

I agree Brad.

If my money tree were to bloom and the Parker 34 was offered as outboard only, I'd look to step into a Chessie deadrise in the 35 to 40' range powered by a single diesel.

Top to bottom... 40 Robbins, 35 Markley, 36 Judge.

robbins40_19.jpg

Image-CD8B2E63472511D9.jpg

36CHES3.jpg

OK,OK ... You guys are right,My dream boat is in fact the ALBIN 28TE with single YANMAR and bow thruster,I found one in north jersey but it has the dreaded GM-peninsular DIESEL that is rumored to be the worst diesel engine ever bolted to a hull. The YANMAR did not start showing up in the albin until around 1999-2000,and those boats are still close to 90k for a real nice one.

A re-power would be close to 23000, so Im right back to square one....might as well buy the newer boat!!!

DO you think there is a CLASSIC-ALBIN site? :lol:

Don't mean to derail thread, but I've been researching the 28 TE Albin also. If I were to go bigger, that boat would be at the top of my list. The way they sip fuel, I could afford to run the boat as well as pay for it. Some 28's, like the Carolinas which I would love to own, I couldn't afford to run and maintain.

Any boat over 28 feet SHOULD have inboard diesel(s) IMHO. Why have to huge 350 hp out boards off the back (which will weigh over 1600 lbs) when you have one very effect diesel inboard. The diesel would provide excellent fuel economy and reliabilty as well as long life.

I know the trend is ever larger outboards for ever larger boats but it just doesn't make sense to me. As I said, I love my Parker, but when I move up to a boat in excess of 28 feet I will go with diesel Parker or not.

Capt.Guy":13wpquxf said:
DO you think there is a CLASSIC-ALBIN site? :lol:

Funny you should mention that.. while I was onboard the Albin 28TE at the NE BoatShow, there was a flyer announcing an Albin Rendezvous in RI this summer. Here is the URL for the owners group.
AlbinOwners

You'll notice that they started the Albin group at about the same time we started ClassicParker. They have 160 members, we have over 650. There are a lot more Albins around than Parkers, so.. either Albin owners are spending too much time working on their boats, or Parker owners never sleep! :shock:

JWL said:
Why have to huge 350 hp out boards off the back (which will weigh over 1600 lbs) when you have one very effect diesel inboard.
quote]

OB vs. diesel, OB advantages include...

Way faster, quiter, clears deck space (roomier boat), idles smoother, no diesel smell, easier to maintain, less draft, lighter weight, lower initial cost, less electrolsis (motors out of water), similar engine lifespans and fuel costs.

I'm sure there's more, all I can think of right now. :wink:

Megabyte":3v08f30y said:
Top to bottom... 40 Robbins, 35 Markley, 36 Judge.

Image-CD8B2E63472511D9.jpg

[/img]

Hey Kevin,,, Did the owner of that 35 Markley get clearance from you on the name of his vessel? :shock:

Or did you already make the move over to the Markley, and just didn't have the heart to tell us! :oops:

Back