Parker 34 Project Recap from NE Boat Show and some Pics

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the oil leaking comment. I have lined engine room bildges with maxi pads to absorb the oil from detroits. I have never even put a tampon in my Yamaha!!!! :lol:

Dear Mariner,

Thanks for your long post above. I stand by my original post above - every word.

As some know, I ran a barge and dredging company with about 400 different diesels up to 10,000 HP boats. I had a a 42 ft. Hatteras (twin Detroits and a diesel Onan) I lived on for 5 years and my wife and I traveled over 7,000 miles on a Great Circle route taking a year. She loved the boat and the trip, but certainly not the engine room. I have been to diesel school and later in life I manufactured (and owned) boats from 21 to 52 feet in gas and diesel including tests boats for the Navy at the David Taylor basins, Boston Whaler and KaMeWa water jets.

But you could be right. For you anyway. Maybe you'll be thrilled when you have 300 HP diesel outboards.

I think Parker has a its finger on the pulse of the market as it has for many years - and it will be outboards for our boats.

Love my outboards and no engine room. Always enjoy sharing opinions on boats too. But my opinions are just that - my opinion. ..............Pete

I loved this boat that I saw at the Richmond show last year. True World marine 28 foot, deep dead rise, Yanmar 315 diesel, nice cabin, nice helm and instrumentation, six inch motor box, Merc outdrive. 6-7 gph at cruise!!

Attachments

• imgb_te288.gif
    imgb_te288.gif
    27 KB · Views: 1,933
the way i see it, there are four main circumstances in which one engine type will be better than the others

situation 1: 40+ ft canyon runner
best engine type: twin diesel inboards
reason: diesels will run more efficiently and last longer in this application than gas engines. INFO BASED ON 2 IDENTICAL BOATS WITH GAS VS DIESEL ENGINES

situation 2: 30-40 ft canyon runner
best engine type: tossup- twin diesels/triple outboards
reason: personal preference- speed/T&A factor vs. reliability and eficiency. also depends on boat type (e.g. express, flybridge, etc.)

situation 3: 25-30 ft canyon runner/nearshore
best engine type: twin outboards
reason: twin outboards will give you the speed necessary to reach the canyons quickly, and are efficient enough to make fuel costs less important. plus, twin diesels are in many cases too large to fit in this size class, and the reliability of twins is something that is necessary for this application. also, in this size range, modern four strokes and twin diesels will have comprable fuel burns (relatively speaking)

situation 4: 20-30 ft nearshore/chesapeake/bay
Best engine type: single diesel
reason: super efficient, long lasting, relatively low speed less of a factor.
***exception: single outboard-depends on usage- easier to trailer than inboard diesels, which often have keels. also: easier to handle dockside, NO ENGINE BOX!!!! but more maintenence and shorter lifespan

Ranger Tim":3ugg56x7 said:
I loved this boat that I saw at the Richmond show last year. True World marine 28 foot, deep dead rise, Yanmar 315 diesel, nice cabin, nice helm and instrumentation, six inch motor box, Merc outdrive. 6-7 gph at cruise!!

Someone about 1/2 mile up the street from me has one of those in his driveway all winter. It is really a beautiful boat in the water and out.

Ranger Tim":1tgafdsl said:

Ugghhh ... nice specs but I won't buy any 'Moonie' boat. I'd take the Albin 28TE over this ANY day of the week. FWIW for all of the boats Powerboat Reports ever tested, the 2 BEST riding hulls were both from Albin Marine, which sadly just closed it doors. They rated the inboard 26' CC and the 28' cabin model I referred to as the best riding hulls on the market.

Wonder if the new hull foam core has been any problem for Albins? I do remember two balsa cored Albin hulls being drilled extensively and compressed air dried in repair yards but they were mostly older boats. I did pick up this note below from the Albin forum:

"After a few phone transfers at Albin I spoke to Ed who said that for the 28TE they started using the Airex core on the 2000 year models, before then it was balsa. He said there was nothing wrong with the balsa, just that it was time to switch to the new material. He did say that with water intrusion the balsa would wick where the Airex would keep it to a very small area.
Im sure someone has drilled through for a transducer or through hull fitting and hit core.

Here is a question out to the group... has anyone had issues with water it the core ? and if so how did you fix it. I would assume a surveyor would find it with a moister meter.
Kind of makes me want to buy one and go around checking every time the boat comes out.... "

Pete

I must admit that i am really looking forward to seeing the 34. I have heard about a sucken birth beneath the console and a larger more comfortable interior. What i am really looking for though is the SQ footage of the cockpit. I imagine it over 105, but maybe i am wrong. I also assume that if there is a sucken birth that the pilot house will be raised making for a smoother ride. I WISH we could have some pics! Also, I am assuming that there will be a generator maybe?? :shock:

If you look at all four pilothouse models, the 2120, 2320, 2520, and 2820... each one is built to the same proportions and don't share structural items (like cabins for instance). I believe Parker did an excellent job in scaling each model so that they all look like a Parker sport cabin should. :wink:

My guess is that the 34 will follow the same pattern, so I rather doubt that the p-house will be raised. As for the configuration of the berth or the layout of the cabin and helm, that's anybodys guess. :)

If I were to be placing bets tho, I'd think that a generator would be a pretty good bet.

When is that Miami show? 8)

Miami Boat Show Feb. 14-18 2008. Parker will be at:

Booth: P37
Building: CONV. CTR.
Space: 2160 sq. ft.

See: http://www.miamiboatshow.com/showinfo.aspx

Might call Robin (or dealer) if going. Most companies have an allotment of free tickets and some have great cocktail parties on the floating boats. Couple of times I had a hard time getting a room in Miami so stayed in Ft. Lauderdale which worked out better and cheaper. Will not make the trip this year...............Pete

Back