Steering Wheel Knob Recommendations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadrise36

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of steering wheel (helm) knobs for single screw boats and know that a Pilot house boat with all that sail area fwd almost demands one for tight maneuvering, so today after church we swung by West Marine to pick one up, I almost choked when I saw the price-tag $124.00 american for a hunk of aluminum? Looking for recommendations...what are you guys using?

Hey Brent that looks like a nice upgrade I might do the same this winter. What does something like that cost I have no idea? What covers the center area?

John

I paid 75 - 80 dollars and there is center cap
2f33d66e85b316bccf332e8c85345d59.jpg

Look for deals. Mine was a closeout deal

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edson ProSeries PowerKnob
Fits Wheel Rims From 5/8" To 1-1/8" Diameter.
Hand-Polished 316 Stainless Steel
Quick Attach Steering Wheel Turning Knob, Strap or Bolt Thru

Defender Marine carries them

Attachments

• Happy.JPG
    Happy.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 191
I purchased the Edson powerknob to upgrade my steering wheel. My question is where did you guys mount it? I was thinking mounting it at 1'O clock but thinking maybe 11 o clock may be better. Any thoughts?

Mine is at twelve o'clock. Makes for handy reference that engine is straight. I get the offset argument, but straight top works well for my simple mind.

If you have hydraulic steering the knob won't remain at 12 with the engine straight.
I have the comfortgrips in the cabin and cockpit station. Go with the smallest you can get would be my feedback. Not the comfort grip IOW, the larger size and "grippiness" tends to grab your clothes. Not horrible, but if I did it again, I would not get the comfort grips.

Last edited:
BEWARE : It Does make a difference as to where the knob is. On the Spoke ......Or On the Rim.
Get one that is on the Rim.

It's something VERY easy to overlook....Ask me how I know.

Thought I was buying the same wheel for upper and Lower helm. No I didn't and you could tell the difference in effort .

I'm a big fan of steering wheel (helm) knobs for single screw boats and know that a Pilot house boat with all that sail area fwd almost demands one for tight maneuvering, so today after church we swung by West Marine to pick one up, I almost choked when I saw the price-tag $124.00 american for a hunk of aluminum? Looking for recommendations...what are you guys using?

Here is what I use and they are top of the line.

https://www.birdsallmarine.com/product/birdsall-marine-steering-wheel-knobs/

Thanks for the reminder :), I've been meaning to order one of these for my 2120SC. Just ordered this one, $12.99:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07263RJT1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Update: That one does not fit. Ordered a different one, post below.

Last edited:
I’ll vouch for the Edson. Extremely good quality, solid beefy construction, well built, well designed, just a great piece of gear. Hasn’t moved a millimeter since I installed it, and spins like a smooth bearing. It doubles as a fidget spinner while driving 😂 I put mine at 6 o’clock since that position made sense while sitting or standing at the leaning post. And you can always reposition it it you don’t like the original location.

You’ll forget about the $100+ almost as soon as you spend it, but you’ll appreciate the quality construction and solid feel each and every time you use it.

My 2 cents.

I’ll vouch for the Edson. Extremely good quality, solid beefy construction, well built, well designed, just a great piece of gear. Hasn’t moved a millimeter since I installed it, and spins like a smooth bearing. It doubles as a fidget spinner while driving 😂 I put mine at 6 o’clock since that position made sense while sitting or standing at the leaning post. And you can always reposition it it you don’t like the original location.

You’ll forget about the $100+ almost as soon as you spend it, but you’ll appreciate the quality construction and solid feel each and every time you use it.

My 2 cents.
I'll too, add 2cents; Pro-Edson. One example; most recently, the center 'cap' on our Edson that's on the wheel in the cockpit station on our 2520, fell off and went in the water. I called Edson to order a new a cap. They said, "it shouldn't have fallen off", and sent me a new one, no-charge. That's what a quality company, with a quality product does.... I've had Edson's on all my past boats as far back as the 1970's. They still look like new, and still work like new. I've seen a lot of cheaper knobs on other's boats rust out. (Yes I am still 'in touch' with some of my old boats, in case someone asks how I know the old Edson's are still like new).
Here's a Non-Edson; (not my boat; just found online).
1705181771651.png

Last edited:
1705962746309.pngWent with this one, $26 "Hypersonic" on Amazon. Looks good, will do the job. Made for round wheels, but included rubber to "fill the gaps" in our non circular Parker steering wheels. Plastic knob, will see how long it lasts. Been cold (for us, cold is < 60'F) and super windy here in SWFL, back to the 80's mid-week, can't wait to try it out :cool: .

I tried a knob for about a week. Despite best intentions, on a boat with hydraulic steering and a somewhat vertical wheel mounting (like in a Parker Pilot House) that knob is eventually gonna park itself at 6 o’clock, which on my boat is smack dab in the way. This becomes particularly noticeable if you make long runs on the autopilot and the entire time the knob is migrating, it confuses the autopilot with an ever so slight steering impute. I gifted mine Simpson Knob to a friend with a center console, that has a more horizontal mounting of the wheel then my pilot house….

Back