What makes fuel tanks fail?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodick93

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it water on the top seeping down (impossible to distinguish from "bottom" originating water probably), corrosion from the inside from gas, ethanol, water etc., or lack of bonding ground?

I have taken steps to protect the tank on my 2320 by minimizing water exposure. Just trying to figure out if more can (reasonably) be done. Thanks.

One needs to understand how alum works. It actually creates a sorta of protective skin on itself. BUT.... It must be exposed to dry air to do so.

When a tank is foamed in to stabilize it in place, where the foam is ... is not exposed to dry air.

Tanks are in bilges and by the very nature of a bilge is a Dark, Damp place.

Now add a water leak..... The leak you never know of, until it's kinda late.

The foam used is a Urethane 4lb closed cell foam to lock the tank in. There are a few lag bolts that hold it also... But those are there also to hold the tank from floating up during the foam pouring process.

There are tons of articals out there that say Don't Foam a tank in.

I contend they have not really thought the WHOLE process thru.

In THAT situation.. They are relying on 4] 1/4 or 5/16in lag bolts to hold the tank.
One must remember and we will just use a 100gal tank in our talk here.
100gal X 6.5lbs per gal [what gas weighs] = 650lbs
Those 4 fastners would work just fine for a object that just sits there as a static display.... A boat is Anything but a static display. The forces put on a boat are tremendous. Especially 1 of my young customers.... He likes to Fly the Hull. :( I'm on his ass all the time about that. But he's Young and Dumb and has plenty of $$$.

Back on Subject....... The answer is Keep moisture OFF the alum.

The surface gets prepped and then Coal tar epoxied. Then Lag bolted in....Then 4lb density foam poured or cut even with the top of the tank... Then fiberglass gets installed bridging from coffin wall across the exposed foam and onto the top of the tank.
This protects the alum from the elements and also protects any water intrusion ever to get into the foam.

Thats How you make one Last.

I am in a similar situation .
Boat dropped off lift and aft coner in water for 2 months affter Hurricane Ian.

Motor is water logged , too.

Wife has been sick and passed over the weekend.

I have not bought another motor yet over concerns of the tank condition and don’t havev a trailer and truck to tow. Other repairs are done.

I am hoping the tank will last for a few years snd repower this year .

Any comments.?

Last edited:

I have not bought another motor yet over concerns of the tank condition and don’t havev a trailer and truck to tow. Other repairs are done.

Any comments.?
Very sorry to hear of your loss. God Bless.

So based on your observations, does the corrosion always travel from the outside in?
Yes.

I will disagree. Most often it happens from the outside. I'm a marine surveyor and have seen a number of tanks that corroded from the inside out. Caused by "water" standing in the corners. Only a little pinhole on the outside. Then you cut the tank open and extensive corrosion inside.

Any comments.?
Hi Brent, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. Our thoughts and prayers are with you...

Well From all the tank's " I've pulled" and I use to have all the pix's. The craters in the alum were from the Outside. Have never seen one that just had a Pin hole and no crator around it..... That doesn't mean that it can't..... Just that I've never seen it.

Obviously the ones you speak of had large amounts of water accumulated inside.

Back