Drain plug stuck, help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POGE

Reaction score
I ve always coated the plug and threads with Axel grease. My marina launched my boat last year so no idea what went one.
it is good and stuck and won’t come out. Any experience in removing the 3 screws and outer brass flange on a Parker? . Any
suggestions :

Last edited:
Garantee...They put Nothing on the threads....That would take effort...I would not use Grease.....I wouldn't use antiseze either. Antiseze makes you look like this.

TefGel is what I'd use....It will not wash off and it's not near as messy as Grease or antiseze.

Remove the 3 screws....Use a hammer and straight screwdriver yo get under the edge and pry it out of the bedding.

Attachments

• Antiseze.jpg
    Antiseze.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 16
Garantee...They put Nothing on the threads....That would take effort...I would not use Grease.....I wouldn't use antiseze either. Antiseze makes you look like this.

TefGel is what I'd use....It will not wash off and it's not near as messy as Grease or antiseze.

Remove the 3 screws....Use a hammer and straight screwdriver yo get under the edge and pry it out of the bedding.
thansk. You think I can get out the flange without bringing chunks of boat with me. any other ideas to get just the plug out without touching the flange?
Ya, i did the plug since new and first year someone else touches and this 🤬. Ya the plug is got rounded from a trial I suspect in trying to get it out.

thansk. You think I can get out the flange without bringing chunks of boat with me. any other ideas to get just the plug out without touching the flange?
Ya, i did the plug since new and first year someone else touches and this 🤬. Ya the plug is got rounded from a trial I suspect in trying to get it out.

Pretty astounding that the plug got so rounded that it can’t be gripped with vice grips or channel locks??? Is it the normal, brass plug with a square head protruding?

I’ve NEVER had one get that stuck, and I never use any sort of lubricant.

It will come out (the plug) with a larger wrench. Use a pipe wrench if necessary.

I've never seen a situation where you need to remove the entire phalange due to a stuck drain plug.

put some heat on it and use a bigger wrench like good chance suggests. I use a thin coat of silicone on the threads, comes out each winter pretty easy. heat the square end just be careful of the glass.

ditto on the pipe wrench - at least a 2' handle. If that does not do it, something else is going on.

Just leave it in. I’ve owned 4 trailerable boats and only on one did I ever remove the plug.

TefGel is the greatest invention for boats and motors. Only takes a little bit. Better that any grease on threads. Use on water pumps. Anytime you have threads, stainless and aluminum. It is great stuff. Use it and the thing will come apart years later no matter how long in salt water.

Pretty astounding that the plug got so rounded that it can’t be gripped with vice grips or channel locks??? Is it the normal, brass plug with a square head protruding?

I’ve NEVER had one get that stuck, and I never use any sort of lubricant.
paint with a 50 50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone
Tap with a hammer
Attempt to remove after 10 minutes

Never had one seize most were overtightened when I had problems
Had to train that out of the lads
My annuals go in with PVC plugs that I replace each year

While discussing plugs I always put the levers inside the boat when possible

My old whalers ( 6 ) have all been replaced with PVC with a thread on the outside ( for just in case ) but I use slip fittings on the inside

Many solutions to a problem that doesn’t need fixing, ha. I’m guessing the boat has a bilge pump?

Many solutions to a problem that doesn’t need fixing, ha. I’m guessing the boat has a bilge pump?

Umm, what?

Why would you choose to rely on an electrical device, especially during winter layup when batteries are often disconnected, when solving the problem is probably as simple as getting a bigger wrench?

A plug removed during storage pretty much guarantees that you won’t end up with a hull full of water come springtime. Particularly if you’re in the situation where the boat may get checked less during the off season. A bilge pump in that same scenario stands a real good chance of both killing the battery and then allowing the boat to essentially sink on dry land.

The plug is there for a reason.

What about the thousands of larger boats that are built without drain plugs?

What about the thousands of larger boats that are built without drain plugs?
Most boats that are designed for winterization or storage on land are built with some sort of low-point drain for the bilge areas. This is frequently not a garboard drain as in larger vessels with displacement hulls that is often not the lowest point on the vessel when in a blocked arrangement.

Vessels without drain plugs are usually designed to either remain in the water in an active/monitored status, or to have full services provided continuously throughout their layup. They’re also generally constructed with greater watertight integrity than your average recreational boat.

Bottom line is that if you’ve got a boat that is in storage for an extended period of time there’s no reason to not remove the garboard drain plug. It’s cheap, easy insurance.

I don't know about the big wrench. Remember what is holding the flange...your fiberglass and transom. I would soak with Kroil, or 50/50 atf and acetone (mixed well), then drill it out. If it costs 20 bucks in new drill bits and some time picking, who cares. It will be out in an hour. Stay in the center obviously. Figure out how big you can go with the new drain plug and just stay away from the threads. Look at it as an investment by not costing you time on the back end possibly glassing and resealing. Good luck and keep us posted.
Once out, make one of these and keep the tools in the tool box. This adds plenty of leverage. I had to drill an extra hole 90 degrees from the first in the plug...had the hairpin cotter in the flow the first time..

Attachments

• img_20190917_085159151_c2ab52dc40bde9b988ad38f21d864bf7e372bc1a.jpg
    img_20190917_085159151_c2ab52dc40bde9b988ad38f21d864bf7e372bc1a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 56
Never been an issue for me. But I would never neglect my boat at a level that would allow it to be filled with water while on land!

Never been an issue for me. But I would never neglect my boat at a level that would allow it to be filled with water while on land!

Not everyone has the option for winter storage that allows the boat to be checked frequently.

And it doesn’t take much. Big snow/ice storm, cockpit fills with snow, scuppers freeze shut; snow starts to melt and has nowhere to go, water spills through the bilge hatch (almost never truly watertight) and collects in the bilge. Repeat a time or two and you’ve got a real mess on your hands. Same problem with leaves, pine needles, etc. A self bailing cockpit is only as good as it’s scuppers; after those fail it just becomes a pool. By the time water gets to the bilge, it’s generally melted and/or free of too much junk, so it drains freely out of the garboard plug.

Back