Fuel smell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been there and done that too. If the tank has not had 3/4 or more fuel in a while it is possible when you put that much in and it started sloshing around it pushed fuel out of any weak point such as a sending gasket or hose. There could also be crevis corrosion up high in the tank and it only showed when you filled her up.

Which lines did you replace? Did you see any cracks?

lancebradley":1zzlcbbl said:
I had the same problem. It was the fuel lines. Replaced the lines and smell went away.
No issues with the tank.

I had just purchased it in 11/2019 and trailered it back from swansboro,NC to richmond. The tanks is over 3/4 and I’m thinking it sloshed around to the hoses. I went ahead and replaced the fill and vent hose.As I was replacing the vent hose I was routing it up I had put a piece of duct tape at the end of the old hose to end a new hose to connect it so that area was a little bit bigger.I connected both hoses together so that I could pull the old out and the new one would be in place. As I was pulling the hose through the pipe I noticed that the duct tape at had some fuel on it. As I was pulling the fill hose out I noticed at the 90° bend there was a little wet spot and I believe that that is where my fuel smell is coming from. I tried to fill it up with water in the vents position but I did not see any leaks.

That is what got me puzzled. Can there be a small crack or pin hole that only expands when in contact with gas??

windknotnc":1cerwadi said:
I have been there and done that too. If the tank has not had 3/4 or more fuel in a while it is possible when you put that much in and it started sloshing around it pushed fuel out of any weak point such as a sending gasket or hose. There could also be crevis corrosion up high in the tank and it only showed when you filled her up.

I found another area where leaking. I replaced the fuel sending gasket during the winter. When I filled up I found that it was leaking when bouncing thru the waves. I installed the new one and notice when I tighten it down the gasket would bulge out a bit. The previous one did not expand.

I put permatex fuel resistant gasket sealant to help seal. Figures crossed this fixes it!

Thanks Classic Parker!

I had the same problem. It was the fuel lines. Replaced the lines and smell went away.
No issues with the tank.
I think my fuel line might be a problem. Only have the smell problem immediately after refueling then it goes away. I can visually check about 3 feet of hose from the fill end and all looks good. How did you access the other end? Mine is a 2005 2510DVWA.

I think my fuel line might be a problem. Only have the smell problem immediately after refueling then it goes away. I can visually check about 3 feet of hose from the fill end and all looks good. How did you access the other end? Mine is a 2005 2510DVWA.

The problem is generally at the bend which you won't be able to inspect without pulling it out. I replaced my fill and vent hoses years ago and most of it looked good, except the bend which had cracks on the outer layer and was clearly seeping fumes.

I just replaced my hoses and checked sending unit. I had the same issue as described above, found the fill hose at the bend to be seriously deteriorated and was the root cause of the issue. I was elated to find this as I was assuming worst case scenario (fuel tank).

My 2016 2320 had a fuel odor problem last year. I believe the hoses connecting the fill port to the tank were damaged by the ethanol in the fuel. Replaced them and the problem has not reoccurred. Now I add ethanol treatment first and try not to over fill when fueling up.

I just replaced my hoses and checked sending unit. I had the same issue as described above, found the fill hose at the bend to be seriously deteriorated and was the root cause of the issue. I was elated to find this as I was assuming worst case scenario (fuel tank).
Any tricks on installing new fill hose?

Hi I have 99 21 se.

I have a strong fuel smell in the console. I also smell in the bildge area too. I’ve tighten all the hoses.

I’ve heard about bad fuel tanks. How can I tell if that’s an issue?
Before you go nuclear, rule out the gasket on the sending unit being the culprit. The following might be of some help and save you some $$.

The sending will only leak when the fuel tank is totally full and once the fuel leaks off full or you burn off some fuel the sending unit stops leaking. The top of tank dries off and you don’t think that’s the problem but the leaked fuel still collects in the coffin, makes the boat smell like gasoline and continues to trickle slowly out of the coffin into the bilge. Let’s say 1/2 a gallon of fuel leaks from the sending unit every time you fill the tank. That 1/2 gallon of fuel may leak from the sending unit in 15 minutes after the fill up and then the fuel level drops enough in the tank that fuel is no longer leaking from the sending unit, however the leaked fuel collects in the coffin, soaks the foam and gives off fumes for a long time. The coffin isn’t 100% sealed and allows fuel to trickle slowly into the bilge for hours or days after the sending unit is no longer leaking.

If you want to 100% confirm that your sending unit isn’t leaking, tape a bunch of clean and dry paper towels around it and then fill the tank till it vents. If the boat is in the water run it somewhat aggressively, if it’s on the trailer, tow it a bit with some starts and stops, up hill, down hill.

The goal of running the boat aggressively or trailing it is to get the fuel sloshing about in the full fuel tank so that the fuel will be pushing on the sending unit gasket and leaking out if you have a problem.

As soon as you stop, check those paper towels and see if they’re wet & smell like gasoline.

If the paper towels are dry then you know for sure that the sending unit isn’t your problem. If the towels are wet with gasoline, you can most likely solve your problem with a new sending unit gasket and save yourself $6000+ and a lot of down time.

Just purchased a 2003 21SE with 300hrs on the boat and motor. Replaced all filters and fuel lines and put maybe 20 hrs on it. Returned home from a hunting trip and left it behind the truck on my driveway which is very steep with 45 gallons in the tank. When I went to move it the next morning it kicked the bilge float on (must’ve been slightly stuck). Pumped out about a gallon of fuel…. Lucky it didn’t explode. Previous owner gave me paper work that marina had serviced motor and cleaned tank, well they never fully tightened the sending unit down and used the old deteriorating gasket as well. Replaced gaskets and plugged lines to pressure test tank and everything is good. I’m sure the tank will need replaced down the road but for now it was just a 6$ gasket for me.

Hi I have 99 21 se.

I have a strong fuel smell in the console. I also smell in the bildge area too. I’ve tighten all the hoses.

I’ve heard about bad fuel tanks. How can I tell if that’s an issue?
I had the same problems and feared a new fuel tank on my o6 21se. Replace the filler hose. My was cured for a $125 hose. Get it on Amazon. A forth of the price. Good luck.

I had the same problems and feared a new fuel tank on my o6 21se. Replace the filler hose. My was cured for a $125 hose. Get it on Amazon. A forth of the price. Good luck.
Had a similar problem on my 1998 21SE.
Fuel was actually seeping through the sides of the fuel filter that I had tried to get another 1/2 season out of. Replaced the filter and problem thankfully solved.
Filler hose mentioned above another possibility.
Assuming you popped the inspection plate over the fuel tank connections.
Let us know what you find.

Back