Parker 2830 Extended cabin updates:

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sydngoose":3oidf7pj said:
I need to source three placards: 1.) Oil discharge regulations 2.) Garbage discharge regulations 3.) replacement USCG capacity plate for a 2002 Parker 2830
Anybody know the best place to source these three items???
Thanks, fellas!

Why do you feel you need a marpol placards? Are you planning to charter this vessel or carry passengers for hire in any capacity? If not these placards are not a requirement. If your just trying to keep your friends and family mindful of what they discharge (great idea in my book) I would consider having some vinyl decals made with easier to understand wording. If not check these out http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... s--8788986 . They aren't the old hard placards but they handle curved surfaces better. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captainsauls":18ag49xf said:
sydngoose":18ag49xf said:
I need to source three placards: 1.) Oil discharge regulations 2.) Garbage discharge regulations 3.) replacement USCG capacity plate for a 2002 Parker 2830
Thanks, fellas!

Why do you feel you need a marpol placards? Are you planning to charter this vessel or carry passengers for hire in any capacity? If not these placards are not a requirement.

Saul: according to USCG 33 CFR 151/155 any vessel greater than 26 feet needs to have these two placards displayed: one prominently and one not necessarily prominently.. correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I interpret the law. But, mute point, because yes, come April 2017 I am going to start chartering USCG OUPV within 100 miles of shore…
I will hit West Marine later this morning: thanks for that tip.

Any suggestions on where to have a capacity plate made up?

Shawnee: I can always count on you for participation and words of encouragement. I called the tank manufacturer themselves and asked them what product to use for fitting thread sealant: they told me they only use one "Gasoila"…I've since talked to other marine engineers, and this is the product they recommend for fuel fittings as well.

sydngoose":3ln3u71z said:

You could have one made up at any sign shop or business that sells trophies.
Or... if you have access to a Brother P-Touch label maker, you could create one yourself.

I use P-Touch labels all over my boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 253
Megabyte":3hn7du1f said:
A couple more.

Thanks, MB: do not own a label maker, so I will contact the sign company that is producing my registration numbers and reproduction "parker" logo for main cabin… Thanks for the heads up.
SNG

sydngoose":xh55ls86 said:
grouperjim":xh55ls86 said:
For your sending unit and screws use gasoline proof sealant on both.

As Kevin said, I think you found the issue.

Have you checked your radar performance in at sea? Parkers ride a little bow high. You can wedge the radome downward a few degrees to compensate if needed.

The Furuno and the other piece mounted on the dash block your view and ruin night vision as stated previously. You'll see where Parker put some plywood in the roof all the way fwd all the way across. The wood is to screw into to mount your overhead electronics which keeps the dash clear.

I am sure Garmin has fixed it by now but their early touch screen MFDs you could not dim them enough and if flush mounted in front of the helm you couldn't see squat when looking fwd at night. Had to put a towel over it to see out. Lol

Thanks so much- this is all great information.
I got this today: impermeable to solvents

I have not seen this brand. Thanks

I use Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant Liquid - See more at: hroducts/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/

Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant Liquid - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/products/gasket ... dh1mr.dpuf

and wear gloves

sydngoose":3vnvcacw said:
Captainsauls":3vnvcacw said:
sydngoose":3vnvcacw said:
Thanks, fellas!

Why do you feel you need a marpol placards? Are you planning to charter this vessel or carry passengers for hire in any capacity? If not these placards are not a requirement.

Saul: according to USCG 33 CFR 151/155 any vessel greater than 26 feet needs to have these two placards displayed: one prominently and one not necessarily prominently.. correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I interpret the law. But, mute point, because yes, come April 2017 I am going to start chartering USCG OUPV within 100 miles of shore…
I will hit West Marine later this morning: thanks for that tip.

CFR 's can be difficult to navigate but I don't think you have to carry the placard unless you are running as a passenger vessel? (keyword THINK)

§ 151.2010 Applicability.
This subpart applies to all non-recreational
vessels
, U.S. and foreign, that
are equipped with ballast tanks and operate
in the waters of the United
States, except as expressly provided in
§ 151.2015 or § 151.2020 of this subpart
your covered on this subpart when operating as a recreational vessel

§ 155.450 Placard.
(a) A ship, except a ship of less than 26 feet in length, must have a placard of at least 5 by 8 inches, made of durable material fixed in a conspicuous place in each machinery space, or at the bilge and ballast pump control station, stating the following:
Subpart 151.2010 should make you exempt from this as part 151 is specifically published as rules for implementation of MARPOL 73/78

personal opinion.... better safe than sorry. I agree you need the placard haha! no one in their right mind would want to argue this with some straight out of school coastie. You'll need it regardless when you start chartering. As far as the capacity plate I would contact the factory and see if they would issue a new plate. If not a local trophy shop seems like a good idea. You may not even require one. As an OUPV over 20' i'm not sure its a requirement. I couldn't find a CFR reference stating a capacity plate is required on an OUPV. Again probably save you some time and grief to get one haha.

Thanks for keeping me sharp on the CFR's, I forgot how much I love digging in them.

Good luck with the business!!!!

"... new rode from International Rope in Jacksonville, Fl:

600 feet of 1/2 inch Superior heat set anchor rope spliced to 30 feet of 1/4 inch galvanized chain…$365 total: great deal. I am using a 22 pound claw anchor until I can acquire either a delta plow or CQR."

For those who aren't aware, you must match your chain to the gypsy on your windlass. Windlass manufacturers will typically specify what gypsies are available for what chain size for their windlasses. For example, 1/4" is available in BBB, Proof Coil and G4 and will likely require different gypsies. If you need to verify what you have, get a foot of each and check it against your windlass. The wrong chain in the wrong gypsy will jump or bind and ruin your day.

BTW, I would pick a Delta over a CQR. I have one on my trawler as my primary and have been combing Craig's List for one for the Parker. The only time the Delta has ever let me down was in the Chesapeake in mud the consistency of chocolate pudding. I switched over to a big honkin' Bruce and let is sink through the ooze. But for day in and day out I'd pick a Delta (unless I could afford a Rocna)!

On your fuel lines use the more expensive hose clamps with the flared edges to avoid the clamps biting into the hoses.

Ditto on the chain spacing. 8 plait line will allow you to significantly increase your anchor line capacity. Zero hockles as well.

Looking good.

Brent: that was my default product if I couldn't find the Gasoila. I know a lot of guys use the Permatex, and that is what it's used for… I wanted to follow the tank manufacturer's recommendation, so I sourced the gasoila at a local tractor supply store… Maybe they are 1/2 dozen 6 in the other…but I did like the "paste" like consistently of the gasoila vs. liquid state of other products.

….also, thanks for the garzo link. My buddy (best fishing partner ever) has a Parker 2801 (Chrisrack: author of the above link "2520 major overhaul), so I'll ask him to take a picture of his capacity sticker and use that info to have Garzo reproduce one for me.

rwp48: Excellent information provided: thank you. Yes, agreed on the chain/ rode matching the windlass, gypsey. I bought BBB 1/4 inch chain per my windlass "Horizon 500" specs/ recommendations. I would also prefer the Delta over any other anchor for my local fisheries. I had a Lewmar Delta plow 22 on my last Parker and it worked flawlessly. I will source one of these again…as soon as I have more time. In the interim, I expect this claw anchor to work ok as well (though not my favorite, it was readily available from another member in my fishing club…so I picked it up to use short term).

Grouper Jim and Megabyte. Excellent suggestion on the Awab hose clamps. I never even realized there was a specific hose clamps for fuel lines. These appear excellent for this very application, and I will order some on Amazon now. Thanks for the suggestion.

One week from tomorrow I fish my first tournament on the Parker 2801. It's called "full of bull" and the targeted species is bull redfish…catch and release, photo tournament..so, I'll be putting this big girl through her paces very shortly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, encouragement. I will post more later as the progress continues.

Regarding the Sliding Cabin Door:

They aren't too hard to build. Here's one I built in 2009 using Honduras Mahogany. The sliding mechanism is from Harken. I used two of their cars (the cars are screwed to the door) and the cars slide on a Harken track. Pretty cheap too ..... I think I had $200 in Harken materials. Works perfect. The door opened almost too easily. It was slippery like Hillary.

I forget what size track and cars I bought but it was probably the 22mm

http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=460

If you look closely, you'll see a 6" PVC block screwed to the deck of the boat; this is really just a piece of PVC rubrail but installed to keep the door from "kicking-out".

Attachments

• 6-28-2010 032.jpg
    6-28-2010 032.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 191
Coast Guard changed the average weight of each passenger to 185 lbs which might reduce the number of passengers and highlights the importance of total weight of passengers and gear on a data plate.
just saying
This might irrelevant unless something bad occurs but an insurance company might check

Brent":2agkemvb said:
Coast Guard changed the average weight of each passenger to 185 lbs which might reduce the number of passengers and highlights the importance of total weight of passengers and gear on a data plate.
just saying
This might irrelevant unless something bad occurs but an insurance company might check

Brent : excellent point. Good chance who posted above (chrisrack on other forums) has a 2001 2801 and I have the 2002 2830.
I think the capacity plates should be apples to apples... But I never overload my boats as I am super anal about weight and distribution around the hull, etc...
Thanks pal!

Just remember that the 2801 CC is a good bit lighter than the 2830 SC.

Megabyte":49ji41x8 said:
Just remember that the 2801 CC is a good bit lighter than the 2830 SC.

10/4: more than anything I just want the capacity plate for adhering to the "letter of the law" when I get boarded by USCG or FWC or Jacksonville marine Police...they look for that capacity plate. I need to be in compliance. As far as not exceeding the boats weight limits, that will likely never occur. Thanks MB

a couple of updates: We fished the 2830 in the Jacksonville "Full of Bull" tournament 2 Saturdays ago. We were able to really shake her down and get acquainted with the boat. One realization was that my ground tackle was inadequate to hold this big heavy girl in the ripping current, so I upgraded. I had a 22 pound claw anchor with 30 feet of 1/4'' chain. Kept the chain, but upgraded to a 33 pound stainless steel plow anchor with swivel head. Here's a couple pics of the 37 1/2 inch bull red we pulled over the washboards: the winning fish was 41 and 1/2 inch. But, it was fun:

tournament day:

new ground tackle:

Also, I did an upgrade to the battery switches, the Automatic Charging Relays and made the system redundant.
Purchased a "blueseas" add a battery switch and (2) ACR's. Now, the only "hot" system when the battery switches are off is the bilge pump. Also, both cranking batteries will be charged while the motors are running or shore power is hooked up, the house battery will be charged through the ACR while either motors running or plugged into shore power. Lastly, if I ever loose a battery offshore, I can redistribute the cranking power to a third battery. Redundancy is good, safety 1st.

Next bilge mission is to fair all the old battery screw holes, then gelcoat that "battery tray" in the bilge that Parker placed there. All batteries moved forward in a rigging compartment beneath the pilot house: well ventilated, safe and secure.

battery location:

Back